Friday 14 December 2012

Earth Child: Naptural Woman

Share it Please
A few months months ago, I made the decision to transition from relaxed hair to natural hair. I began my transition with braids; I sat for hours (with lots of breaks in between) while a frustrated hair dresser twisted my hair with extensions and turned me into an earth goddess. A couple of months after my first braid, I sat in my bathroom with a pair of scissors, contemplating whether or not I was really going to go through with it. To help things along, I grabbed my hair into a ponytail and snipped it off at the base. The photo is of me after the initial snip. You don't want to see what my face looked like after the reality of my actions hit me. Tears do not look good on Mz Daixy.
 



A week of recovery later, and I took the snippers to my hair once more and found a lace scarf to use as a headband.

 Mz Daixy's a school girl again!

I eventually went to the barber and got the last bits of permed wisp taken off.

Ignore the ginormous smile on my face.  
Luther Vandrosss and Teddy Pendergrass were whispering sweet nothings in my ear that morning.

My natural hair is a pain to take care of.  I've been relaxing my hair since the 4th grade, after my mom got tired of breaking combs in the tangled mess of kinky curls. My foray into napturality has brought back best forgotten memories of hot combs burning my scalp and combs and brushes snapping like twigs. It's impossible to comb this hair when it's dry, it won't lie down no matter what you do to it and I've had to say goodbye to afternoon naps (cuz I can't tidy it up afterwards without getting it wet).

I've considered locks and passed. Locks are gorgeous, I'll admit but knowing that the only way to get rid of them is to hack off my hair has me balking. I'm going to let it grow out and bring back the afro for a bit while I work out natural ways of making the hair soft and easier to manage. Still, I'm enjoying the fresh look and am sticking to switching up between the natural fro and braids. I even posed for this gorgeous pic.

Transitioning may very well be the best thing I've ever done for myself. Becoming an earth child is wonderful. I've begun cutting out chemicals from my diet and have also been removing checmical lotions and such from my beauty regime. In future, I will be sharing some of my homemade recipes for skin care (trying to find the best one for treating my acne prone and scarred skin) for those of you who are looking for natural alternatives also.

I apologise for my absence on here (I've no real excuse other than that life's been pretty demanding the past couple of months). It will not happen again. Thanks to all who moved with me from my old blog and are still here despite my truancy.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, was not expecting to read this. You're beautiful hair! :O

    I'm glad it worked out :) You probably feel much better with your new life-style, I'm curious what'll happen to you in the days to come! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss my long hair too but this is for the best. Considering getting a pompadour like Janelle Monae has. I really am curious as two who this is. I'm guessing one of three people and one of them is family lol.

    As for what's gonna happen in the days to come, I hope it's nothing eventful. This year, I've had a tipper truck hit my car, my dad involved in a serious accident (with my car) and my dog murdered by my other dogs. I would like life to be kind to me now lol.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind. Just please be tolerant of others' ideas and do not ridicule commenters.