Friday 31 December 2010

Light vs. Dark......

Share it Please
Smokey CandleImage by PeterLinLin via Flickr


Wiry vaporous spectres
Dance about the naked blaze
Their lithesome frames 
Gyrating, Sensuous, Mesmerising
Engaged in haphazard flight.

Piercing the sinister shadow
They make their valiant attempts
To strike at the dark nothingness
That lies beyond the lonesome light.

Baleful, Lurking,
Ever- patient it awaits
That inevitable moment
When, exhausted,
The hapless flame
Delivers its final flicker.

And eventually, spent,
The extinguished light of love,
And its silent wraiths,
Are laid to rest within
The gloomy bowels of  the night.


~Daixy~

I'd like to thank the Electricity Company of Ghana for the inspiration for this piece.  The past four nights spent in darkness have afforded me the opportunity to play, as I did as a child, with candles.  Happy New Year's people.  May 2011 bring out the best in us.  God Bless.

11 comments:

  1. ROFLMAO! I sure hope that they don't take this as their cue to yank my electricity away whenever they feel like it lol. The mosquitoes that accompany this muse are not pleasant at all ;)

    Thanks Mr. Porter. Best wishes for 2011

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a genre you don't really focus on, you are at genius level already. Why not consider spending a little more time on/with poetry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nana Yaw, you flatter me lol. Let's hope the muses continue to assault me :P

    I'll do my best to bring on more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just realised I gave ECG the permission to pull the plug on my power rofl and right after I admonished them not to. Contradicting myself? Great start to the New Year N'est pas?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Nana Yaw, Daixy, keep the poems coming.
    You made me want some candles too. Maybe dinner by candlelight? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm now I'm thinking late night picnics. A soft blanket to lay on even softer grass, bottle of wine, assorted meats and fruit, and mr. africa to feed me them under the light of the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting to note that light gives up in the end - to night, darkness. It raises thoughts of duality and the the ancient Egyptian myth of Light and it's enemy 'Set' where Light wins during day and Darkness during night. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Mr. Porter, aaaaaw....I'll have something to say when I'm done blushing, I hope ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Nana Yaw Sarpong, I don't think light (life) gives up. It's just...darkness is vast and has only to absorb whatever light throws its way. Think of it as the baby throwing its fists at the adult keeping him away from a posicle. It's not that he gives up on getting the sweet, On the contrary, he runs out of energy. It's the same with the light. Once the buzz runs out, it's sayonara. If only the flame belonged to one big-ass candle with a never-ending supply of wick and wax? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hurray Daixy has remembered she has a blog!

    They say the best art comes from suffering so there is something positive coming from light out.
    Well as someone who likes the dark side I am happy your poem ends with the victory of the dark, although I'm not sure about "gloomy bowels"!

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind. Just please be tolerant of others' ideas and do not ridicule commenters.